Given the rise in assaults against women (and men) in Kolkata, Geoscholars is offering a series of free self defense workshops at locations around the city. We'll cover quite a few topics you probably didn't learn in your school karate class:
- De-escalation and avoiding conflict.
- Verbal techniques to re-establish psychological boundaries.
- Improvised (and other) tools for self defense, and how to use them.
- Devastating, easy to learn unarmed combat techniques from several martial arts traditions, including Brazilian jiu-jitsu, hapkido, and judo.
- Legal implications; what happens after an attack?
Our instructor became the only Indian graduate of the Black Box program in counter-kidnapping, improvised weapons, and escapology in Tijuana Mexico in 2016, and is currently learning the Libre edged weapons curriculum for hand-to-hand encounters. He also holds a blue belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and has been teaching women's self defense workshops for several years.